We’ve invested the fund into Chorley FC and in return have two directors and 6% of the issued share capital. Watch this space for news of further developments.
Ever wanted to own a football club?
We believe that Chorley fans should own Chorley Football Club. We also believe that the time is coming when we can make it happen. Now we want to start raising money for the day when our club is put up for sale. We want to be ready to act straight away, to grab the opportunity to buy our football club and secure it for generations of Chorley fans to come. Chorley Supporters Trust is the ideal owner for Chorley Football Club. Our rules prevent anyone from making a profit from the club or the ground. Our constitution requires us to act in the best interests of the club. The Trust can’t be taken over, so once the fans own the club, it’s ours for keeps.
The fund was launched at the start of the 2015-16 season, at our game against FC United of Manchester, probably the best known fan-owned club in non-league football. FC United are a shining example, showing just what can be achieved when supporters work together to build a better football club. FCUM have raised more than half a million pounds over the years, and just look where they are now. With the help of the City Council other funding bodies, they are the proud owners of Broadhurst Park – a brand new state of the art stadium with great community facilities.
So we’re asking our fans to donate through a monthly payment to the Fan Ownership Fund. Regular income makes it easier for us to plan and predict how much money we will raise. Of course, one-off payments are very welcome too.
We’ll be topping up the fund regularly over the season from our fundraising income. We can only do this with your help.
How can I donate?
- Collect a form from the trust table at any home match
- Give online through our Localgiving page.
- You can set up a standing order, or make a one-off payment to our dedicated bank account. The details are:
Fan ownership is the best way to guarantee a long-term future for the club we love. It’s a tried and tested route to stability, with plenty of success stories to inspire us. In our division alone, Chester, FC United and Darlington 1883 are owned by their supporters, and Bradford Park Avenue are in the process of joining them. And there are plenty more examples in league football – Portsmouth, Wycombe Wanderers, AFC Wimbledon. We’ve played against almost all of these sides at some point in our history. It’s within our grasp to join the ranks of these famous and successful fan-owned clubs.
What’s so good about fan ownership?
– Security: we won’t run up debts to risk our club’s future
– Independence: Chorley will never be at the mercy of the whims of a rich individual or company
– Focus: we’ll always be 100% focused on running the club as we won’t have any other business interests to distract us
– Community: the club will be owned by Chorley fans and will be at the heart of the town
– Stability: with the future of the club secure we can plan for the long term