Chorley Supporters Trust was officially formed in June 2013 at an Extraordinary General Meeting in the social club at Victory Park. This meeting was attended by both members of Chorley Supporters Club and the Magpies Trust where a vote took place to decide whether both supporter run organisations should combine and become one group or to continue as two separate parties.
It was understood that the Magpies Trust would not be able to continue to operate if the merger did not go ahead, this was due to falling membership and members of the board stepping down. For the club’s own benefit, it was vital that Chorley Football Club had a Trust in operation just in case they need to step in at any moment to stop the club from going out of business. This has already proved vital for the likes of AFC Telford and Northwich Victoria. The Trust as it was then had under 20 full members on their books.
During the season of 2012/13, membership for the supporters club increased dramatically to a total of 133. However the amount of active volunteers still remained the same. The supporters club’s main aim was to support the club in any way it could by not handing them directly money for players wages or a transfer fee but to support them in purchasing the odd piece of equipment or sponsoring a game. It was always thought that the two organisations where run in different ways, but now was the time to combine and become the one force to help Chorley Football Club achieve its true potential.
The Journey So Far….
In the early years of the Trust we supported the club through our fundraising efforts and donated £8,000 to allow investment in:
- New disabled access to the social club
- An upgrade to the PA system
Financial and non-financial support to Chorley FC in 2016/17 included:
- The purchase of a new defibrillator for Victory Park,
- Support to the 200 Club through the purchase of a £200 ticket,
- Donation of £222 towards the acquisition of frost covers for the Victory Park pitch,
- Fundraising of £3000 through our pledges scheme to help establish the U21 Development Squad,
- Volunteers to sell the 50:50 Half Time draw and Golden Goal tickets at home games,
- Worked with the club on the sale of Christmas Raffle tickets,
- Provided positive PR for and increased of Chorley FC through our Twitter feed (@cfcst), regular slots on Chorley FM, distribution of 40,000 leaflets across the borough and articles in the local press,
- Ball sponsorship, player sponsorship and support to the ‘Thirsty Magpie’ Beer Festival,
- Purchase of a pitch side sponsorship board,
- Management of the 50:50 Half Time draw for the club,
- Supporting club events – e.g. purchasing places at Sportsman’s Dinners, Comedy Nights etc.
In 2017/18 we have a Silver Sponsorship package at Chorley FC which provides the football club with much needed financial support and gives the Trust two season tickets which we are distributing to those less fortunate than ourselves in the town through community organisations.
Support to the local community
We are passionate in our support of the local community and we believe in giving back to those less fortunate than ourselves.
Each year we support a variety of local and national charities from the Poppy Appeal and Chorley Mencap to through to more local organisations such as Derian House and Twincess.
On Boxing Day 2016 four members of the Trust Board walked from Victory Park to the AFC Fylde raising £2500 for the Fan Ownership Fund, Galloways for the Blind and Friends For You, a community group combating social isolation based in Chorley.
Through 2016/17 we have also had four food bank collections for Living Water Church.